Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? Would you consider yourself an optimist or a pessimist?
If you are so happy in spite of your deprivations; with your happiness so deep that it becomes a sort of faith and philosophy of life then you are an optimist, according to Helen Keller.
I believe most of the YourCause community is filled with optimists, wishing to make a positive impact on the world. Most of them have saddening back stories, but they’ve turned their moments of despair into inspiration. They turn their hardships into an uplifting way to influence and create change.
Upon browsing CNN.com , I came across this article titled “Eight Feel-Good Websites” that listed eight websites that can brighten your day amidst a world of oil spills, diseases, violence and more:
1. Happy News - “Real News. Compelling Stories. Always Positive.”
2. Gives Me Hope -“GMH is where people share with the world their most hopeful, uplifting moments and allow others to draw strength from their experiences. “
3. 1000 Awesome Things - “1000 Awesome Things is just a time-ticking countdown of 1000 awesome things.”
4. PostSecret - “PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard.”
5. Cute Baby Fix - Blog all about cute babies, baby photos, baby videos that is guaranteed to make you smile.
6. Christian the Lion - Not even a website but a viral video showcasing the reunion of a owner and his pet lion in the wild.
7. Today’s Big Thing - ”Every day, we find the best thing on the Internet and put it on this site. Just one thing, for each category, each day.”
8. ZooBorns - “The Newest and Cutest Exotic Baby Animals from Zoos and Aquariums Around the World!”
And although these sites bring a smile to your face, do any of them really create a positive impact or change? Or do they simple just cover up the disasters and destruction on the world, creating a temporary band aid to our problems?
Don’t get me wrong, these are all great websites. My favorite being “Gives Me Hope” because I think it does exhibit a “pass it forward” type of effect. When I read a person was influenced by a simple sweet gesture, it really did inspire me to have the same effect on the next person.
Nonetheless, I’d like to add one more to the list:
9. YourCause – “Developing Global Good.”
Because we’ve developed the ability to give regular people the tools and platform to not only feel, but create a positive impact in the world.
You want a reason to feel good?? Well, our members have completed more than 6,400 hours of service and raised more than 1.2 million dollars for charities. Thanks and congratulations again for your optimistic efforts!